Let's get Sub-20 !

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Re: Let's get Sub-20 !

Postby Zeotor » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:01 pm

You can learn or figure out better ways to do things. You can solve the cube slowly and look for better ways to do a step, such as the cross. You can look up algorithms for harder or longer F2L cases. (This page shows different ways to solve F2L slots.)

Make sure that you're using the inspection time well. You have fifteen seconds, though in competitions, it's more like twelve. Make sure that you have the cross completely planned out. If you can't plan it out in fifteen seconds, just take as long as you need. You will get better.

Don't rotate the whole cube during F2L unless you need to. Cube rotations can take a lot of time, and you should try do to as few as possible. You never need to do a y2.

When you practice, you can figure out the weakest parts of your solves. Then, you can work on those problems. The worst parts of your solves probably take the most time to do. So, working on fixing those can help you the most.

I have a question. Around the beginning of June, I started using inspection. I'm color neutral. Do you think that I should use a set strategy for solving the cross? For example:

1. Find all of the cross pieces.
2. Plan the solution for the first cross piece.
3. Plan the solution for the second and third cross pieces.
4. Figure out where the fourth cross edge will end up and plan its solution.
5. Execute the solution.
Zeotor

Postby Polytope » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Wel i don't really know much about speedcubing. I don't even think i can do that (depends on what the definition is of speedcubing). I was just interested because i use a diferent solving method than other people. My first steps are very similar to F2L. The diference is that i don't solve the 2 layers completely, i solve them except for a corner piece in the first layer and an edge piece in the second layer. Also i do this intuitive. The rest of my method is also a very easy and intuitive method once you know what the different moves do and how they work.
But since i don't even think i can get under 1 minute ... i gues i should look for a thread about how to get under 1 minute first.
But thanks anyway. :)
Polytope

Postby Sharkretriver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 pm

It's good to learn algs for some rotationless inserts so that you don't need a y2 or something.
It's suggested that this should be done during inspection:
1. Find all cross pieces and plan out general moves
2. Find a f2l pair
Although step 2 does take some practice. I lost most of my f2l skills actually...
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Sharkretriver » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Polytope wrote:If you people talk about F2L, do you then mean full F2L? I mean do you complete the 2 first layers completely?

_____
Nils
Mean_Cubist wrote:Hey, I recently started Friedrich method around two months ago and now I'm sub 30. I only know the cross OLLs and I don't know the G-Perms. What would you suggest other than look-ahead to lower my times?

Whoops, missed this
F2L involves slots and is done after the cross, but the real first two layers should take less than 15 seconds for you to be sub-20.
cross OLLs only is fine. Learn all of the PLLs! Also, check out some f2l algorithms (scroll down to the "how to improve" section)
http://jmbaum.110mb.com/f2l.htm
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Awesomeroks » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:25 am

I average around 22 with 2 look oll and 14 pll's.
f2l 8-13 seconds
last layer 10 seconds. what shall i do to get sub- 15? :?:
Awesomeroks

Postby Zeotor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:02 pm

One thing that you can do is work on the last layer. Learn the rest of the PLLs, then the OLLs. Make sure that you choose and use algorithms that work well for you.

For F2L, make sure that you are always turning the cube and solving something. You shouldn't be pausing to find pieces. If you have trouble with this, turn slower. Also, while you are solving one pair, look ahead to the next one.
Zeotor

Postby bp998 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:43 am

i have been working on getting my time down for about 3 months and i am still doing high 30's
my current best time is 19 seconds but my average is 37
any tips
bp998

Postby Sharkretriver » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:47 pm

bp998 wrote:i have been working on getting my time down for about 3 months and i am still doing high 30's
my current best time is 19 seconds but my average is 37
any tips

Best to post a YouTube video ^_~
How's your lookahead, as in, are you solving one F2L pair while looking for others? If so, then you can try to lookahead with faster fingertricks.
Also, I hope you're using 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL, although I think you can start to memorize some more PLLs.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby MorrisKid101 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 pm

cgrubix wrote:I have a regular rubiks cube, and put vaseline in it. It didnt really speed it up, and I
am still 1:30+ some help?

If you are fairly new to cubing, you won't know this: NEVER PUT VASELINE IN UR CUBE! I had to learn the hard way, but Vaseline corrodes the plastic inside your cube and just makes it slow. Here are some tips:
Buy a really smooth cube (Dayan or shengshou or something like that)
Buy professional cube lubricants (Calvin's puzzles do great lube)
Failing that, buy silicone lubricant spray
Failing THAT, use body lotion, it works a treat.

You'll definitely need a new cube though. If you want to speedcube, Rubik's isn't he brand to go for.
Hope this helps!
MorrisKid101

Postby LuigiTDM » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 am

I'm doing intuitive F2L, I know 22/57 OLLs (I use 2-look OLL if needed), and I can nearly do full PLL (I can't do N and G: so 15/21 algs). I'm currently getting times between 35 and 50 seconds, and am averaging just over 40s. I've been stuck around this time for a while now; is there any way I could speed up to getting consistently sub-40?
LuigiTDM

PreviousNext

Return to Speedcubing