Spam filters

Let us know what you think of Rubiks.com

Spam filters

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Well, like every single filter, there are bots.
Anyway, how about we put some ideas in here?
Current filter: first-post mod check?

I think that an "inverse" word filter should be used, like if the word "cube" isn't in the topic, it's filtered off...but that's not going to work too well, as you can see with this topic name.
Also, if the topic (first post) contains a shortened link, should it be filtered too?
Also, even though this isn't a really active forum, I'm surprised how many posts are in this section when they should be in another.
I think I should be secondary admin I MEAN UH so yeah I'm just suggesting those filters.

Also, I use gmail so email filtering isn't the best idea.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Re: Spam filters

Postby Zeotor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:25 am

Here are two suggestions for registration.

Use CAPTCHAs like this one.

Ask a question that requires a little effort to complete. For example, ask "What is the official world record for a single 4x4 cube solve? The answer is on the World Cube Association's website." Something like that isn't hard for someone to do. It would just take some time to go to the World Cube Association's website and find the information. (The website can found using a search engine.) Maybe a spammer wouldn't make the effort to find the answer.

A problem with this is that the correct answer could be given, but in the wrong way. One person might enter "26.77" and someone else might enter "26.77 seconds." Both answers are right, but they are not exactly the same. A possible way around this problem is to give instructions about how to give an answer.
Zeotor

Postby Sharkretriver » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:35 pm

I actually forgot how the registration worked...didn't it use a captcha? Ah well.
For the second case, it's not too hard to implement it. All you have to do is to take only the first word "26.77" and then see if that's right. (Coding experience, doing that shouldn't be hard really)
One forum I visited gave a few lines of random characters (e.g. LOHHHEYVELJBJ) and asks you to click to first occurrence of a letter (e.g. Y), and if you click another one you get sent to some random (age-suitable) YouTube video...

Great ideas Zeotor, guess I can't think too properly. ^_^
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Sharkretriver wrote:I actually forgot how the registration worked...didn't it use a captcha? Ah well.

I don't think it does. If you are on the forum, but not logged in, you can look at the registration page. It is near "Login" in the upper right area of the board index.
Zeotor

Postby speedcuber50 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:41 pm

Zeotor wrote:For example, ask "What is the official world record for a single 4x4 cube solve? The answer is on the World Cube Association's website."
Speedsolving.com use something like that, except that it's the 3x3 record. (I knew it off by heart-5.66-like any good cuber.)
speedcuber50

Return to Website feedback, comments & bugs