4x4x4 - Strange Situation (Help)

General discussions and topics

4x4x4 - Strange Situation (Help)

Postby synth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi all,

I viewed some tips on solving the 4x4x4 cube and the first time i try to solve it i get this:

(aside from these two corner pieces everything is perfect).

Now, I would guess it's impossible on 3x3x3 because i solved it many many times and everything always went smoothly.

Can my current situation on 4x4x4 be solved (relatively simply)?
synth

Re: 4x4x4 - Strange Situation (Help)

Postby borginator2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:41 pm

It's not weird. It's one of the 3 main parity cases for the 4x4. Have a look at my mega parity vid (for 4x4 and 5x5 cubes). It will help you fix it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lSLPnxsa64
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby synth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Oh my... it's the longest algorithm i ever saw...

Perhaps you have a tip on how to avoid that specific situation in preliminary stages?
synth

Postby borginator2 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:15 pm

You could get the centres in the correct slots. But since it's impossible to tell, you'll just have to bite the bullet and learn it.

You can do that alg at the yellow cross phase (for me thats the cross on the last layer), but if you hit it, it's just tough.

You might be able to get away with a combination of other parity algs, but I wouldn't. The alg is too useful for a 5x5 and beyond.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Zeotor » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:28 am

synth wrote:Perhaps you have a tip on how to avoid that specific situation in preliminary stages?

borginator2 wrote:But since it's impossible to tell, you'll just have to bite the bullet and learn it.

There actually is a way to tell if the cube will have the parity case. I could explain how to do it (even though I don't know all of the details). But, you have to learn how to do it. I think that it is better to just memorize and use the algorithm than to learn how to avoid the parity case.
Zeotor

Return to General Rubik's Discussion