How to solve a 4x4x4 Picture cube?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

How to solve a 4x4x4 Picture cube?

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:01 am

My 2x2 center groupings are themselves scrambled. Its not poorly rotated, as this would be easy to fix as per the pictured 3x3x3 algorithms. Rather, the centers are scrambled such that no rotation can fix the error.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Re: How to solve a 4x4x4 Picture cube?

Postby Zeotor » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 pm

To move around centers within the same face, use (d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d'). It cycles three centers on the front like this.

(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d').png
(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d').png (15.57 KiB) Viewed 2160 times

To do the same thing on the top face, use (f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f'). Here's what that does.

(f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f').png
(f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f').png (47.25 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Last edited by Zeotor on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeotor

Postby borginator2 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:11 pm

I've made this one of the sticky posts since it covers something we've not met before here. Nice one Zeotor!
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Zeotor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:35 am

borginator2 wrote:Nice one Zeotor!

Thanks. :D Here's the same information, but for a 5x5x5 picture cube/supercube. Feel free to make this post (and the next one) a new topic if needed. Another option is to change the title of this thread. Also, I've edited my first post for clarity and I added a modified algorithm.

Here's how to move the centers on a 5x5x5 cube.

To cycle the inner corners within the front face, use (d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d').

(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d').png
(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d').png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Use (f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f') for the top face.

(f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f').png
(f R' d) r B' l' B r' B' l B (d' R f').png (36.34 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Zeotor

Postby Zeotor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:40 am

Double post due to the three attachment limit.

To cycle the inner edges within the front face, use l' F l' U' M' U l U' M U F' l. The turn M goes the same way as L. It means the layer in the middle of the puzzle, and is between the right and left layers.

l' F l' U' M' U l U' M U F' l.png
l' F l' U' M' U l U' M U F' l.png (9.5 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Use l' U l' B' M' B l B' M B U' l for the top face.

l' U l' B' M' B l B' M B U' l.png
l' U l' B' M' B l B' M B U' l.png (38.38 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

The images show what happens if you use the sequence on a solved cube.
Zeotor

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:03 am

Thank you very much for the help.

Ive been struggling with this for some time. Both on my cube and in a desperate, fruitless search for algorithms online. My supercube revenge... I struggled to get the centers right, right off the bat, step one. After succeeding with various center shuffling algorithms, which I did manage to find, I thought it would be smooth sailing from then on. At the end, though, I corrected parity, thinking that rotating my centers would be the next step. Unfortunately, the parity correction algorithm I know and use totally screwed up/shuffled about my centers. I shuffled my centers again with the algorithm I had used near the beginning, just to find that my edges were now screwed up. I had come full circle. What a pain.

I could not find a parity correcting algorithm that did not shuffle up my centers. I could not find a center shuffling algorithm that did not screw up my edges. Until now. Thank you so much.

Oh, where can I get a cube or stickers such as the one illustrated in the pictures you gave? I love the design and prefer it over arrows or numbers.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Postby Zeotor » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:13 pm

No problem.

The OLL parity, where only two edge pairs need to be switched, shouldn't occur on a 4x4 picture cube. For the PLL parity, where one pair need to be flipped, r B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2 flips the edge pair at UF. It also rotates the U center around twice. This can be fixed by (R U R' U)x5 (and other ways).

Certain Eastsheen cubes have that sticker pattern. Since they aren't Rubik's brand cubes, I can't provide links. Google can help.
To just buy the stickers, go here and here.
You can also make the pattern yourself. You just need extra stickers and extra time.
Zeotor

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 am

Are these ALL of the algorithms for solving the faces of the 5x5x5 professors Super Cube? Because I am having a great deal of trouble solving some of my inner 3x3 faces. I have solved 4 out of the 6 faces but the remaining to appear to be impossible using the two algorithms listed above. Seriously, in more than a hundred attempts I should have been able to accidentally get one right by now, but no. Something is not being said.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:49 pm

I wrote one of the algorithms incorrectly. The "M" move should be done as "m" (the innermost middle layer, not all three.) That may help.

Here's how to use them on either of two pieces - the inner edges or the inner corners. They are solved separate of each other.
Use the algorithm to solve one of the pieces. Then, there should be three pieces unsolved. Now, use the algorithm once or twice to solve the rest of them.

I think that there's a total of twenty-one algorithms that could be used for the inner 3x3, not counting the centerpiece. (I don't think that anyone knows all of them.) Using just two works.

If you still have problems, just mention them.
Zeotor

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Well, perhaps it was my mistake but I correctly understood your intent the first time. I had been using M to represent the middle one anyway, not all three.

However, I seem to have issues nonetheless. I feel as though I have already gone through every possible combination.

I know I can solve the inner corners and the inner edges separately. Their respective alrogithms do not effect the other pieces in the face.

Let me explain my situation to you. All inner corner pieces are solved and in position. As for the inner edges, the top and bottom ones are in the correct place. The left and right ones, however, are in opposite places from where they should be.

I need to rotate the left and right inner edges 180 degrees about, without changing the position of the top or bottom inner edge pieces.

If I perform the edge swap algorithm the top edge stays where it is, the right edge is completed correctly, but the bottom and left edges are now backwards. If I rotate all the edge pieces 180 degrees then the left and right ones are solved but the top and bottom ones are in the wrong place.

No matter how I orient the cube, Im perpetually in a situation of having either having 0 or 2 center edges in the correct place and 2 or 4 edges in the incorrect place. You are telling me I should be able to solve it after getting just one, but I cannot get just one much less all four. I feel as though this is a parity issue or something.

I am able to get all four center edges positioned correctly with respect to themselves, but not with respect to the center corners. So if there is a way to rotate all four center edges 90 degrees around without rotating the center corners then Im set.

That said, perhaps I should mention this. I dont think its relevant but who knows? Im not working on an actual physical cube. Im using a digital program that emulates a cube. Specifically, Im using an iPod Touch app by Senygma, Magmic and Seven Towns, titled "Rubik's Cube". Version 1.0.14. On the 4th generation iPod Touch iOS version 6.0.1.

I mention this because, its possible, there is a glitch in the program that created an impossible cube. Does anyone know of such a problem with this program?

I only bring this up because my persistent problem with this seemingly unsolveable cube is with the iPod Touch app. When I do play with an actual 5x5x5 super cube, I have yet to run into this problem. I dont know. Maybe its just luck so far that I havent run into this problem, or maybe it has everything to do with the app.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Next

Return to Solutions