The next step?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

The next step?

Postby Nuclear_Zebra » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 am

I've been able to solve a 3x3x3 for six months now, and the only method I know is the one that just plain comes with the cube, I own a DaYan and currently my record is thirty eight seconds, though my time is usually right around fifty. My question is exactly what I should move on to- using this method I'm pretty sure I'm at the limits of what it can do, and I don't want to just pick a method and waste my time on it. Flat out, what method is going to get the fastest possible time when learned well? my goal is to at least get my time down to twenty seconds, if not faster.
Nuclear_Zebra

Re: The next step?

Postby Zeotor » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:16 pm

Nuclear_Zebra wrote:Flat out, what method is going to get the fastest possible time when learned well?

No one knows the answer to that question. I have seen two videos of people solving a 3x3x3 in less than twenty seconds - using twenty different methods. Speed depends on things such as how fast a person turns and how much they know.

Having said that, there are three methods that are widely used. These methods have the potential for times far below twenty seconds.

1. - CFOP
Feliks Zemdegs uses this method. He consistently gets times below ten seconds.
For more information about this method, search around the Internet. YouTube, specifically, has many videos, including tutorials. I mention some good videos in this post.

2. - Roux
Alexander Lau uses this method. He also consistently get times below ten seconds.
Search around for this method too; YouTube has videos and tutorials. This page has information in words and links to videos for learning Roux.

3. - ZZ
Phil Yu uses this method. He mainly uses it for one-handed solving. He has done solves under ten seconds using this method (using both hands).
For information about this method, there is this written tutorial and this video one.

You will not waste your time pursuing any of these methods. Look into each one and try them. Then, whichever one you like using more, use it.

If you have any more questions, just ask. Enjoy cubing beyond the seven steps!
Zeotor

Postby speedcuber50 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:22 pm

My current method is the Friendrich method, a.k.a. CFOP (Cross, F2L, OLL, PLL-more on these later).

Essentialy the idea is to solve corner-edge pairs before placing them, rather than solving all the corners then effectively taking them all out again to place the edges. The beginner's method is called LBL (Layer By Layer). Friendrich method uses F2L (First 2 Layers), because it solves the First 2 Layers in one step.

You're also probably doing the same algorithim over and over again for the yellow face aren't you? Then you should look into OLL and PLL. OLL involves making the entire yellow face yellow in one or two steps. If you do it in one step, it is called 1-Look. If you do it in two steps, it is called 2-Look. You should start with 2-Look, then move onto 1-Look when you feel ready.

PLL involves making the sides of the yellow face match up. Again, you can either do 1-Look or 2-Look. In this case, I recomend going straight to 1-Look; 2-Look doesn't offer much advantage over what you're already doing.

Another tecnique to practice is called lookahead. This involves watching for your next piece while solving your current one, so you don't have to stop and think but can rather carry straight on without stopping. It is based on the idea that you don't have to watch the piece you're currently solving. Lookahead takes time and patience, but fortunately there are many good tutorials on the internet.

Currently, I average around 35 seconds using this method, and I haven't even finished learning it. I'm onto (mostly) 1-Look PLL, but I still haven't started learning 1-Look OLL yet. My lookahead is not good, but at least it's something. I'm currently working on it...
speedcuber50

Postby speedcuber50 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 pm

Here's the link: http://ws2.binghamton.edu/fridrich/cube.html

Also, sorry but my spelling's poor. It's Fridrich, not Friendich.
speedcuber50

Return to Speedcubing