Idiot stuck on 3x3

General discussions and topics

Idiot stuck on 3x3

Postby Phobos » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Hello, I recently got my first Rubik's Cube about five days ago.

I followed the instructions in the book, even deciphering some of the bad info (such as telling me to hold the cube w/a certain block above my right thumb, which can be done in any orientation and thus provides no real help and can, in fact, ruin the work I've done) until I got to the final step.

Now, from this step everything gets ruined. I mean everything. I've got to this point probably 100 times before I stopped counting, then when I begin this step it jumbles the entire cube up. The directions say to keep repeating the steps and it will eventually work itself out. I repeated step 7 about twenty times, and eventually ended up w/an all blue top, only the rest of the cube was 100% mixed up. Another startover.

Like I've said, I've been stuck on step 7 since I first got the cube, and each time I get to it, I mix the cube up 100% and have to start all over. Is there a chance a piece got switched? I watched a (rather poor) tutorial on youtube that showed you how to take it apart first. I twisted the top 1/8 of a twist, then pried the center piece out, put my thumb in its stead, looked at the piece and how it attached, and put it right back.

While I don't think I mixed anything up, I certainly could have. Would this change my outcome for step 7?

Frustrated.
Phobos

Re: Idiot stuck on 3x3

Postby borginator2 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:13 pm

Ok. Here are 2 thread specifically designed to help with this issue:

Firstly, my super easy cube guide. Try it for the bits you're stuck on and refer to it to check the other bits are all working:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5136

Secondly, my guide on fixing a cube that can't be solved (possible for you), and spotting when this has happened:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5151

Hope these help.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Phobos » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:00 am

I can get to the final step w/no help. Takes me about 1 minute now to get to the unsolved corners.

The only thing I can't do is solve the final corners. No matter what, the cube either gets completely jumbled or there is one square on every face that is out of place when I am finished.

I watched your videos. Being a beginner, I cannot follow when you rotate the entire cube and upset the orientation. I'm not yet familiar enough w/the cube to try an entirely different method than what I've been learning on for the past few days.

So I got to the corners again on my own and then tried your tutorial from the 9 minute mark. I followed every move you did perfectly after that point and got a nice infuriating jumble at the end. I think it's because you start from a different facet than I'm used to.

So, I guess I'm looking for a tutorial that utilizes the prevalent "green cross on top" method, is slow enough to recognize the moves, and doesn't twist and rotate the entire cube constantly to confuse the orientation.

Does that even exist?
Phobos

Postby borginator2 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:50 pm

If you've got one corner out of place, I suspect you've got an unsolvable cube and that's why you're having issues.

Use my other guide on unsolvable cubes to fix it and see if the problem reoccurs. I suspect it won't.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Kitjai26 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:10 pm

@Phobos:

I agree with borginator2. Why don't you try this... solve your cube to the point where you're stuck (ie. your unsolved corners). Then take the rest of the cube apart and piece it back together correctly. Then unscramble it and try solving it. I'm guessing that'll resolve your situation.

(Note: I just noticed that this is an old post from Dec 2012. So maybe it's been resolved already. These forums are not as active as I thought.)
Kitjai26

Return to General Rubik's Discussion