Urgent: Layer solution for Rubik's Void?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Urgent: Layer solution for Rubik's Void?

Postby jdiamond » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:50 pm

I am really hoping Rubik comes up with official solutions to the Rubik's void ASAP, as it's so irritating to me and all my friends that we can't solve it. Here's the crux of the problem:

- As everyone knows, the normal 3x3 solution will leave two edges flipped due to the so called "parity error"
- I've tried every solution I've found on the web to fix the "parity error", but none of these fixes work for the layer solution method. Why? Because they all mess up the entire cube in the process of rotating the centers, so in a layer solution, you have to start over. But when you start over, you can easily get a new parity error during the process.

We are not expert cubies, which is why we use the layer method. I'm asking for some help:

1) Can some of you expert solvers figure out a way to fix the parity error on the layer method? The main issue I see is you can't tell if you have the problem until the final layer, so you need a parity fix that only messes up the top 1 or 2 layers at most, allowing a layer solution with the same parity. Or a parity test and fix that could happen on the first layer.

2) Can anyone with pull let the official Rubik's people know that the 3x3 instructions don't work with a void, so they're trying to sell people a puzzle with no solution, and this will have bad push back soon?

Any help is VERY much appreciated. I really love the void aesthetically, so it'd be awesome to be able to solve it.
- Jeff
jdiamond

Re: Urgent: Layer solution for Rubik's Void?

Postby jdiamond » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:02 am

A quick update: While I haven't gotten a response to this thread per se, I am getting responses in other threads about certain void situations that come up and moves that will undo each specific problem without messing up the other layers. I have not confirmed these work yet, but as I go, I'll post them here, so we can gradually build up a layered solution to the Rubik's void...

If this approach does work out (meaning there actually are solutions to ALL the void states that won't disturb other layers), then the solution will simply add extra steps into solving the final layer, which the official Rubik guide breaks up into 4 stages of solving...

- Jeff
jdiamond

Re: Urgent: Layer solution for Rubik's Void?

Postby Zeotor » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:50 pm

The following layer-by-layer solutions will work for the Void Cube, excluding the parity situation.
It can be solved using F2 U' F2 U F2 U' M U F2 U2 M U M' F2 U F2.

http://longlifescience.weebly.com/uploads/1/0/5/9/10595403/how_to_solve_the_cube.pdf

http://www.rubiks.com/solving-center/3x3_guide/
Zeotor

Return to Solutions