Proper steps to getting faster...?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Proper steps to getting faster...?

Postby Kitjai26 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:24 pm

Hi Cubers!

Currently my solve times average somewhere around 1:30 (+/-)... give or take. But I think I'm averaging slightly sub 1:30 for the most part. My fastest solve time was 1:18.19. Currently I'm using a combination of the Beginner's method and Fridrich's intuitive F2L method. From searching, I hear some people recommend F2L look-ahead or 2-look OLL next. But I've also heard people say you probably shouldn't worry about learning those methods yet until you are sub 1-minute.

So my question now becomes, what SHOULD I focus on based on what I already know in order to get faster? I'm trying finger tricks but I'm not getting a whole lot faster with my fingers and less cube rotations. So should those be what I should focus more on? Will focusing on those be enough to get me sub 1-minute?
Kitjai26

Re: Proper steps to getting faster...?

Postby Sharkretriver » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:32 pm

You should be able to sub one minute using fingertricks, I think. I use:
U (index fingers) D (ring fingers) F (index fingers) L/R (wrist) B (index fingers, but it's more like a rotation then U)
It'd be good to practice RUR'U' * 6 many times, along with R'URU'. I find those two sets nice. :3 They also appear in several OLL algorithms.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:00 am

Kitjai26 wrote:So my question now becomes, what SHOULD I focus on based on what I already know in order to get faster?

Focus on making sure you can find the piece(s) you need. Also focus on always solving something, preferably by turning; thinking about how to solve something is okay too. Try to solve each F2L pair without making any mistakes. Make sure that you can recognize the different intuitive F2L cases (such as when the D layer's color is facing up on the corner). Also, it can help to always look for the same type of piece for a pair, then find the other one. For example, you could look for the corner and then find the edge that goes with it.

Kitjai26 wrote:I'm trying finger tricks but I'm not getting a whole lot faster with my fingers and less cube rotations. So should those be what I should focus more on?

No. Turning the cube fast is not needed to get faster times. Your fingers will get faster over time. Also, don't get in the habit of turning as fast as possible. Turning really fast is bad for lookahead.
Reducing cube rotations is good. Try to use as few as possible, but they won't affect your time a lot right now.

For 2-Look OLL, see this thread. Using it will lower your times some. Focusing on F2L is more important though.

Become more comfortable with solving the cube. As that happens, you will get faster.
Zeotor

Postby Kitjai26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks sharkretreiver. I guess I'll keep practicing on it. And hopefully over time as Zeotor says, my finger tricks will get faster.

Zeotor, so you're saying practice on my lookaheads but don't worry about doing them too fast for now until I get better?
Kitjai26

Postby Kitjai26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Trying to go slower to practice my lookahead... got a new record (actually faster) with going slower and using lookahead.

My new fastest solve time:
1:12.30 YAY!! :D :mrgreen:
Kitjai26

Postby Zeotor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:57 am

Kitjai26 wrote:Zeotor, so you're saying practice on my lookaheads but don't worry about doing them too fast for now until I get better?

I was saying don't worry about turning really fast right now. As you've seen, turning slower can lead to faster solves. Congratulations on your new best time!
Zeotor

Postby Kitjai26 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 pm

Zeotor wrote:I was saying don't worry about turning really fast right now. As you've seen, turning slower can lead to faster solves. Congratulations on your new best time!

Thanks! Still trying to practice and get down to sub 1-minute.
Kitjai26

Postby MorrisKid101 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:03 pm

When I first read your situation, I was amazed by how similar our situations are. I'm trying to break the 1-minute barrier and got extremely close with 1m 02s (PLL Skip). I still haven't done it yet, but am waiting on a DaYan GuHong Stickerless to get hete, so, who knows, I might make it! Thanks for all your tips, as I have only recently discovered the Fridrich method ad am also practicing untimed to solve F2L quickly. Thanks again for everyone's advice!
MorrisKid101

Postby Kitjai26 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm

MorrisKid101 wrote:When I first read your situation, I was amazed by how similar our situations are. I'm trying to break the 1-minute barrier and got extremely close with 1m 02s (PLL Skip). I still haven't done it yet, but am waiting on a DaYan GuHong Stickerless to get hete, so, who knows, I might make it! Thanks for all your tips, as I have only recently discovered the Fridrich method ad am also practicing untimed to solve F2L quickly. Thanks again for everyone's advice!

Best of luck to you MorrisKid101. I'm still learning and trying to improve on the Fridrich Method to improve my times.
Kitjai26

Postby Kitjai26 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:56 pm

UPDATE:
YES!!! New best time today!

1:11.61

Getting lower... I'll be sub 1-minute some day! :D
Kitjai26

Next

Return to Speedcubing