How to get faster

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Re: How to get faster

Postby Zeotor » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:19 pm

solver207 wrote:i do not use methods from the internet i created my own method wich is solving the corners "2x2" then the edges "i know im not the first to know this method but i didnt internet search about it either i just came up with it" so can anyone please help? i would appreciate it :)

You could try to figure out different ways to do what you do using less moves. There is a solution that involves making a 2x2x2 block first. You could look up how that part is done and it may help you.

cubesolver001 wrote:Only what i know is solving the cross, but i can't go faster with my fingers.
I'll try some finger tricks, but it's not working. I turn also slow ( like my video with me solving the cube ).

Can somebody give me some tips how i can do finger tricks?

There are some videos on YouTube where people explain how they turn the cube. This is one of them. In it, he shows and explains how he turns different layers. You can try to do what other people do, but you may have to modify it and do it your own way. Everyone's different.
Zeotor

Postby cubesolver001 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks Zeotor :).
Follow your dreams, you don't know what's coming
cubesolver001

Postby Zeotor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 pm

No problem. :)
Zeotor

Postby fahmil » Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

can u teach me to do CFOP method? :)
fahmil

Postby Zeotor » Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

This website has details on the method; there are others. There are also many videos on YouTube about it. Here are links to some good ones.

This video by badmephisto is the first of two videos that explain how to solve the first two layers (F2L) of a 3x3x3 cube. F2L is the second step of CFOP.

This video by heiowge is the first of three videos that go over 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL, which are easier to learn alternatives to OLL and PLL. OLL and PLL are the third and fourth steps of CFOP.

For the first step, the cross, it is probably good to figure it out yourself, then later use faster approaches.
Zeotor

Postby supermario123 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:06 pm

Thanks for these pages. I am a rookie speedcuber and need new methods to solve the rubiks cube. Thinks the Fridrichs metode is the best way for me to get faster.

Are Fridrich metode you guys use when you solve the cube on under 30 sec?

Best regards
Lucas from Denmark
I'm sorry, but I've removed this link. While we encourage this sort of page here, there were sufficient errors to suggest they get changed on the page first.

Example 1: The Professor cube is the name given to the 5 layer Rubik's cube, not the 3 layered one pictured

Example 2: Vaseline recommended for lubrication. As we have stated many times here, VASELINE ROTS CUBES!!! NEVER USE IT!!! Use a silicone based lubricant instead
supermario123

Postby Zeotor » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:37 pm

supermario123 wrote:Are Fridrich metode you guys use when you solve the cube on under 30 sec?

I've used that method to solve a 3x3 in under 30 seconds. Solves under 30 seconds can be done with many other methods too. For example, here are some videos of two different people solving a 3x3 in under 20 seconds using lots of methods.

Sub 20 with 20 different methods by snkenjoi

Sub-20 with 20 different methods by 5BLD
Zeotor

Postby brriii » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:25 am

cubesolver001 wrote:Only what i know is solving the cross, but i can't go faster with my fingers.
I'll try some finger tricks, but it's not working. I turn also slow ( like my video with me solving the cube ).

Can somebody give me some tips how i can do finger tricks?

Fingertricks feel really awkward at first, but you have to get used to them. Believe me, no matter what method you use, fingertricks will still shed tons of seconds off of your time.

Now, if you're asking how to do them in general, I usually grip the right side of the cube with my ring and pinky fingers and turn that side with them, but most people grip with their ring pinky and middle. I use my middle finger to push the corner farthest from me toward me, but you can also use your index finger in the same way. If you're like me and use your middle finger for turning the top, you can easily use your index finger to turn the front just like you do with the top (I have big hands). If you use your index finger, I'm not really sure how you'd do that. (This part probably makes no sense because you can't see what to do, but maybe you can).

As for how to practice, I suggest practicing these two algorithms tons. But don't do them and stop at the end of the algorithm; do them continuously like a neverending loop.

R U R' U'

R' F R U'

That's how I practiced fingertrips when I first started. Hope this helps.
brriii

Postby speedcuber50 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:25 pm

Also, you need a good cube for fingertricks, not these (storebought) Rubik's Brand things.
speedcuber50

Postby thecubemaster23 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 pm

Learn finger tricks, than, learn the fredrich method. Memyselfandpi has a great tutorial!(But keep in mind Memyselfandpi can't always be trusted because of his bias against many companies so yeah, but his fredrich(CFOP) tutorial is trustable)
thecubemaster23

Previous

Return to Speedcubing