How to start learning and memorizing the Fridrich Method?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

How to start learning and memorizing the Fridrich Method?

Postby jettz » Sat May 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Okay, yeah so I'm new to speedcubing and my PB is 55 seconds using the beginner's method and my average is around 1 minute. But my question to you guys is on how to learn and memorize the Fridrich Method? and also how long should it normally take for me to memorize it?
jettz

Re: How to start learning and memorizing the Fridrich Method

Postby Sharkretriver » Sat May 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Yay, another LBLer converting to CFOP.
I call the Fridrich method CFOP because they're pretty much the same method: Cross/F2L/OLL/PLL

For the cross, you'll want to get it under 8 moves, solve it on the bottom or left side (but not on the top because it'll take seconds to flip the whole cube over)
By the time you get better at it, you should be able to plan the whole cross during the 15-second inspection time.

You'll want to learn intuitive F2L before learning any algorithms.
To learn F2L, I used Monkeydude1313s tutorial, which is long but in-depth imo.

For OLL and PLL, learn 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL first. You might want to watch a variety of vids to find algorithms that suit you well for those two steps.

Also, don't forget fingertricks and lookahead.

With all of those steps, it should be possible to go down to 35 - 40s.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Re: How to start learning and memorizing the Fridrich Method

Postby LuigiTDM » Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 pm

Sharkretriver has said most of what needs to be said. When going on from 4-look last layer, try to learn the PLL algs before the OLL ones. There are far fewer PLLs (under half).
I started learning Fridrich about 4-5 months ago and have nearly learned all PLLs and just a couple of OLLs - mainly simple ones and ones for 2-look OLL. But I haven't been doing the 3x3 all this time, and I tried working out F2L and didn't look at a tutorial, so you can probably get to near my times (35-40s) in less time than I have done.
http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?6085-How-to-Get-Faster-using-the-Fridrich-CFOP-Method is a useful page with links to videos and other useful websites (although some links don't work). It also tells you which times you should be aiming for as you learn new things.
LuigiTDM

Return to Speedcubing