Want to solve faster

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Want to solve faster

Postby Spidey » Sat May 18, 2013 8:09 am

hi everyone,
It has been around 1 month since i learnt to solve and ia have been solving it with the beginner's method. However, I cant solve faster than 1min20sec, which is slow. I have tried other methods like F2L but i cant memmorise all those formulas(which is something like 20-30).
Any suggestions?
thnx :)
Spidey

Re: Want to solve faster

Postby Zeotor » Sun May 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Spidey wrote:However, I cant solve faster than 1min20sec, which is slow.

"Slow" is a relative term (to me at least); it deals with comparisons. You could say you're slow if you compare yourself to someone on YouTube who does twenty second solves. However, you could say you're fast compared to how you used to solve. When you first started, you weren't getting the times that you are now. You've made progress and can be proud about that.

Spidey wrote:Any suggestions?

In general, practice. Do lots of solves, and become more familiar with your solving method. Don't time all of your solves. Do some of them slowly, and try to reduce pauses.

By beginner's method, I'm going to answer as if you mean: cross, first layer corners, second layer edges, last layer (which has its own steps). If you do something else, you can post a response and say so.

For the cross, solve it on the bottom layer, not on the top layer. Keep it on the bottom for the whole solve. This will save you the time that it takes to turn it over. Also, it will allow you see more pieces.

When you're solving the first layer's corners, make sure that you know how to solve each corner the first time you see it. Find a corner, think about where it and how to put it there, then solve it. You don't want to put a corner in wrong then have to take it out. Try to do this without pausing for a long time. You want to eventually be able to see a corner and solve it almost instantly.

For the second layer edges, do the same kind of thing. Don't put any in flipped or in the wrong spot. Aim to solve each one correctly the first time.

For the last layer, make sure that you can recognize each pattern (case) and solve it quickly. You can practice the formulas (algorithms) and try to execute them faster. You can try turning the cube in different ways to do this.

Lastly, figure out ways to turn the cube quickly. You don't need to use your whole hand to turn each layer. The top layer can be turned just using an index finger, for example. This video shows some ways to turn the cube that might be better than what you are doing now.
Zeotor

Postby LuigiTDM » Tue May 21, 2013 3:35 pm

F2L requires no memorisation of algorithms if you practise enough. I tried to learn it myself, and that's worked for me; however it took a while to learn. You can learn how to do it without algorithms from videos if you need help. You can learn algorithms, but that's not a good way to do F2L. However, if you like your current first two layers method, you can keep using it. For now, I would try to learn 4-look last layer. That needs about 15 algorithms, but it should be all you need to get under a minute with beginner's first two layers. This thread on the Speedsolving forums and this one on these forums should be helpful.
LuigiTDM

Postby Spidey » Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm

Thank u very much guys. Now my average has dropped to 1min20sec and my best to 1min6sec. Iam trying to learn F2L but I like beginners method better ( and yes, i use the same method posted by zeotor). Can i get to some 40 sec if I keep practising or should i switch to F2L? How long will it take me to reach my target? :D
Spidey

Postby LuigiTDM » Wed May 22, 2013 4:51 pm

It's good to see you're improving! It took me about 3-5 months to get sub-40 (can't remember exactly how long it took), but different people learn at different speeds: you could get there in two months. I would highly recommend learning F2L to get sub-40, but for under a minute, something like 4-look last layer will help more.
LuigiTDM

Postby Sharkretriver » Wed May 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Instead of having to learn new algs, I think that you can concentrate on developing better lookahead. Using the Dan Brown method, I can get around a 35 or 40 average.
Lookahead is basically looking for one piece while solving another. For example, while using the algorithm to put in one corner, you spot another corner. Instead of pausing between corners, you can just move from solvin one corner to solvin another. This way, you can shave off several seconds (if done correctly).

Also, don't forget to work on fingertricks if you don't use them!
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Spidey » Thu May 23, 2013 7:33 am

I know the dan brown method too but i can solve faster using the beginners. I have decided to use use the beginners method until i get sub i min. As recommended by many, iam trying to keep white at the bottom and also trying to reduce cube rotations. But then I have a problem rotating front,front inverted, back and back inverted as i have to switch the position of my fingers for rotating them. But i used to switch the sides( to rotate Front inverted i rotate my cube to the left and then use my right hand to rotate it .i.e. right inverted) so that i can prevent rotating front. But then i will be losing many sec for turning the cube. So should I learn to do the algorithms of all sides without turning it? Iam considering to buy a new cube. Can u recommend any cube btwn. some Rs. 400 to 500 indian (Iam living in India)? its okay if u know the price in dollar, euro etc. Only the cube's name , brand is enough.
Thnx
Spidey

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu May 23, 2013 9:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsYCV0WAmxY
I use thumb or index for F/F', and index or ring for B/B'
Also, I don't know any cube that's that cheap. Try Dayan brand cubes...not as cheap as you wanted but they're fast. At most they should be about 1000INR. This is if you're buying online of course.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Pwnspeed12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:14 am

Hi all.my best is 56.47sec and I want to know how to get faster.may I know what is the fastest way to find the cross and the bottom layer?
Pwnspeed12

Postby Pwnspeed12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:51 am

May I please know how to solve the cross fast?
Pwnspeed12

Next

Return to Speedcubing