Zhanchi or Guhong?

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Zhanchi or Guhong?

Postby glitterycubes » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:10 am

I am pretty new to cubing and my average is around 1:15 using the beginner method. I am currently learning the Fridrich method. I use the regular Rubik's logo cube and a lot of the stickers are peeled off. I know this is a common question, but which cube should I get as a beginner moving to intermediate-the Zhanchi or Guhong? Thanks :D
glitterycubes

Re: Zhanchi or Guhong?

Postby Sharkretriver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:35 am

Intermediate? I'm not sure if those cubes can be considered intermediate since they're fast. From a guide I read, it says to ditch beginner cube, then ditch intermediate cube at 40s, then get a Dayan, but that's their opinion. When I was around that time I was probably using a Rubik's brand or a Cube4you DIY.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby SuperCubeTuber » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:02 pm

I personally believe that it doesn't matter if you get a fast cube or not. The zhanchi is better in my opinion out of the two cubes you suggested, however I think that the new fangshi shuang ren cube is far better than all of the cubes on the market for about the same price. I started off with a witeden type c IV and that was one of the better cubes at the time and I was only hitting about a minute. As I continued trying to get faster I started using finger tricks and that brought me down to about 40 seconds and then I practiced daily and I have now gotten a time of 4.66 which for those of you who don't know is about a second better than the world record. So it doesn't really matter what cube you buy. I still have my rubiks brand and I can manage to get sub 20 every time.
SuperCubeTuber

Postby Zeotor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:18 am

I think that you should get either one, and start using it before you get in forty second range. Using a cube such as a Rubik's brand 3x3x3 can teach you bad turning habits; those habits can be hard to get rid of later.

As for the ZhanChi or GuHong question, it depends on what kind of feel that you want in a cube. The GuHong is often called smoother, though a little bit slower. The ZhanChi is usually considered faster and has more of a clicky, slightly bumpy, feeling.
Zeotor

Postby isaganiesteron » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:22 am

At an average of 1:15 you can definitely have to work on your solving, like fluid turning, look ahead etc. You should however upgrade from a store bought Rubik's brand cube because those really make solving not enjoyable at all. Guhong or Zanchi? Each cube has a different feeling. Guhong is smoother but has more resistance in turning and Zanchi is a lot faster and lighter to turn. Honestly, I would suggest getting a Guhong because is much more smoother making it more controllable. The Zanchi is too light and fast which makes it hard to control leading it to over shooting causing little lock ups. Guhong is an excellent beginners cube. Sentence and link removed. If you're going to plug your cube site in your signature, please do not do it in the post as well.
Check out www.bestspeedcube.com and discover the best speed cube for you.
isaganiesteron

Return to Speedcubing