Yet another method for 3x3 Rubiks cube

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Yet another method for 3x3 Rubiks cube

Postby ipenzar » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:40 pm

My (favorite) method to solve the classic Rubik's cube may look like a mix of Adam's method, Roux method and Salvia's method.
I.e., this is how the method builds the cube in parts, maneuvering that the previously solved parts would not be disturbed or would only be minimally disturbed where unavoidable.

One can say that the method reuses algorithms for permuting (PLLC) and orienting (OLLC) the last layer corners as from the Corners First approach.
However, it utilizes the fact that those algorithms do not only preserve the first layer corners but preserve also the two particular edges from the first plus two from the second layer.

Hence the method starts by solving those four edges first, followed by the 1st layer corners making an incomplete First Two Layers (iF2L).
It continues with the second layer corners, followed by the four remaining edges from the left and right layers.
It ends up by solving the four middle edges from the vertical M-slice in a sandwich between the R and L layers.

The method is mostly intuitive, all together four algorithms (of whom two are short and also intuitive) are just enough to solve the whole cube.

Compared to e.g. Beginner's method or other methods leaving the 3rd layer as last to solve, the PLLC algorithms here can be shorter since they utilize the incompleteness of iF2L(four 1st layer corners plus only half of the eight F2L edges were solved before).

Method builds the cube in eight steps, detailed instructions with Java simulations are presented at:
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/penzars/RubiksC ... ethod.html

Comments, corrections and possible improvements are welcome :)
ipenzar

Re: Yet another method for 3x3 Rubiks cube

Postby Sharkretriver » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

It seems you know a lot of methods, but do you also speedcube? Optimized algs are good because they have fewer moves, but it doesn't mean they're always faster. ^_~
There exist a few ways that this method could improve on speed.
a. In step 1, start on the left or right depending on your handedness, instead of starting at the top and having to rotate later.
b. Step 2 can be done on the bottom instead of the top so you'll save time by not having to do an 180deg rotation. It's basically like a half-cross in Fridrich method.
c. "Two choices: opt between solving corners in the layer with the first two edges solved, or with the second two edges solved" So after step 1 and 2, you have to break one of them? If so, I don't think step 2 needs to be mentioned because it's on the M slice and will be made during roux. o_O
d. "Insert corner by corner from D layer to U layer, it's really ergonomic (and fast)" it's faster to insert from U layer to D layer:
d.i. if the corner is facing right: R U R'
ii. if the corner is facing left: U R U' R'
iii. if the corner is facing up: R2 U R2 U' R2

e. 4 and 5 can actually be combined into 1 step through CMLL, which is a set of 42 algs. Memorizing that is a pain but you might wanna mention it in the "extras" section.
e.i. "Direct algs for remaining five cases" These algs are a bit of a nightmare for me to execute, and the F2 U2 F U2 F2 one doesn't follow the picture (it's 90 deg off). The 5th pic is impossible btw. I'm talking about the black and blue pics. I can pass some speedier algs through PM if you want. Note that R is often faster than F when it comes to RU algs compared to FU ones.
f. For steps 6 to 8 you can directly use the algs from Roux method it seems. http://wafflelikescubes.webs.com/rouxmethod.htm#591530993

The second thing I find confusing is the development of the 2 blocks. Step 3 says to either destroy step 1 or 2, or that's how I read it. Later on, the second block is still missing 2 edge pieces and I can't find a clear step that demonstrates how to place those 2 edges. Also, for PLLC it'd be easier to just colour in the corners already oriented instead of using those four colours since it'll be clearer to see how the corners are being swapped...I think. Speaking of adjustments for the simulations, some of them have the 2 blocks solved while others don't, in the same step. o_O It's kinda confusing.

Anyway, combining methods is fun and it's nice of you to share a method that follows roux more than CFOP, since there are so many things for CFOP already. :3
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Return to Solutions