How to solve a 4x4x4 Picture cube?

Discuss solutions, provide links to sites with solutions

Re: How to solve a 4x4x4 Picture cube?

Postby Zeotor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:09 am

Are the two unsolved inner edges the only unsolved pieces on the whole cube? Or are there two faces that each have two unsolved inner edges?

If you have the first situation, then that is not possible. The app might have a problem. Or, the images you are using to create the supercube might be the problem. Some pieces that look similar could be confused and put in the wrong places.

If you have the second situation, this is what you can do.

Move the four pieces into the same face. Something like this.
this.png
this.png (39.91 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Then do (m U2 m' U2)x3 U (m U2 m' U2)x3 U'
(m U2 m' U2)x3 U (m U2 m' U2)x3 U'.png
(m U2 m' U2)x3 U (m U2 m' U2)x3 U'.png (41.59 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Lastly, put the pieces that were moved back to where they were.

CogitoErgoCogitoSum wrote:So if there is a way to rotate all four center edges 90 degrees around without rotating the center corners then Im set.

I don't think that there is. If these four pieces are the only unsolved pieces on the puzzle, I think there's a problem. Some other pieces on the puzzle are probably not correct. As I mentioned before, some pieces may be confused for others. Also, check the centerpieces. It may be that some are rotated incorrectly.
Zeotor

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Well, its not a problem with the app after all. I actually finally stumbled into this situation with a real 5x5x5 cube for the first time in weeks. What are the odds?

You are right. Its not just one face. There are two faces with this problem and they are adjacent to one another.

I am not following your instructions very well. You gave an image of a completed cube for some reason, doesnt make a very good guide.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Postby CogitoErgoCogitoSum » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks everyone but I solved it myself. With the help of Zeotor: you prompted me to put all four pieces on the same face. That is such of a trivial/genius move. HA.

All I did was put all four of the backwards pieces onto the same face. I did the full inner face (the whole 3x3 inner face) 180 degree rotation algorithm we are familiar with from the 3x3x3 cube: (R U R' U)x5. Then I put the two center edges that I had previously moved back onto their proper face, completing the entire center face of that face. On the other face that had been incomplete, however, what I was left with was all four center-edges rotated 180 degrees from where they should be, and that is easy to solve by doing (l' F l' U' M' U l U' M U F' l) once, rotating the face 90 CC and doing the algorithm a second time.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum

Postby Zeotor » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:44 pm

CogitoErgoCogitoSum wrote:You gave an image of a completed cube for some reason, doesnt make a very good guide.

Which one are you referring to? The last image of my previous post has the inner edges moved around. It has the same effect as what you did.
CogitoErgoCogitoSum wrote:doing (l' F l' U' M' U l U' M U F' l) once, rotating the face 90 CC and doing the algorithm a second time.
Zeotor

Postby BOB41K » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:59 pm

Guys, help me, please. I'm trying to solve 4x4x4 pictured cube and I faced the situation, when I need to change two adjacent center cubes(like red one with white and blue edges and red one with blue and yellow edges). How to solve this situation?
BOB41K

Postby Zeotor » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:53 pm

BOB41K wrote:I'm trying to solve 4x4x4 pictured cube and I faced the situation, when I need to change two adjacent center cubes(like red one with white and blue edges and red one with blue and yellow edges). How to solve this situation?

You can't have a situation where only two center pieces are switched, and everything else is solved. Look at the centers on all of the faces. At least one is unsolved; it may be on the red face.

See my post here. You can use those algorithms to move three center pieces around. The three pieces that you need to move might not be in the same locations as in those images. You can move them into place, do one of the algorithms, then undo what you did to put them into place.

Also, if you can post a picture, that will help.
Zeotor

Postby BOB41K » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Oh, I'm sorry, you're right. I have 2 unsolved pieces on the other side as well. My cube isn't usual super cube. It has pictures like puzzles on its sides, that's why sometimes it's a bit hard to recognize the right position of some pieces.
So I have 2 unsolved pieces on the yellow side and 2 on the blue side.
I've attached pictures that can clarify the situation. I outlined wrong pieces to mark them, hope it'll help. Thank you for help in advance.
Attachments
both.jpg
both sides
both.jpg (128.2 KiB) Viewed 652 times
blue.jpg
blue side
blue.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 652 times
BOB41K

Postby Zeotor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:51 am

BOB41K wrote:So I have 2 unsolved pieces on the yellow side and 2 on the blue side.
I've attached pictures that can clarify the situation. I outlined wrong pieces to mark them

If you hold the puzzle the way that it is in the first picture, and do the following moves, the cube will be solved.

u F
(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d')
F2
(d R' b) U' l' U r U' l U r' (b' R d')
F u'

This is how those moves work.

u F - ["u" moves all of the unsolved pieces to the front face. "F" sets up the pieces so that one of them will be solved by the next group of moves.]
(d R' b) r U' l' U r' U' l U (b' R d') - [This is mentioned here. It moves three of the center pieces on the front around. In this situation, it solves one of the center pieces.]
F2 - [This moves the piece that was solved to the lower-right. With it there, it won't be unsolved by the next group of moves.]
(d R' b) U' l' U r U' l U r' (b' R d') - [This is the second line of moves done backwards. It moves three of the center pieces on the front.]
F u' - [This undoes the "F2" and the "u F" from before. It is basically a combination of F2 (F2 backwards) and F' u' (F u backwards).]

If you want to see the moves done, play the animation here.
Zeotor

Postby BOB41K » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Zeotor, thanks a lot! It worked out! Extra thanks for you great explanations!
It was really hard to find the solution for super cube. There are a lot of manuals for standard 4x4 cube, but few manuals for super cube.
BOB41K

Postby Zeotor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:58 am

No problem.
Zeotor

Previous

Return to Solutions