Setting Cubes for Contests

Discussion about methods, times, and all things related to solving the Rubik's brand products.

Setting Cubes for Contests

Postby gurthbruins » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:40 pm

I am wondering how cubes are set up for solving contests.

I imagine that if a cube is set up by giving it less than 30 random moves, it might be much easier to solve than if it were given say 100 random moves.

Is there a place where I can read up on this and similar subjects?
biredo ribepo!
gurthbruins

Re: Setting Cubes for Contests

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 pm

That sounds like a misconception.
The maximum number of moves needed to solve a Rubik's cube is 20. Therefore, the hardest scramble can be solved in 20 turns, and so I'm not sure if there really is a difference after you go above 20 turns.

http://www.cube20.org/
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby gurthbruins » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:42 am

Thanks Sharkretriver for that link.

Yes, I'd say I was under a misconception, that God's number was about 30! An idea based on data valid about 18 years ago, as far as then known.
biredo ribepo!
gurthbruins

Postby gurthbruins » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:58 am

That mind-blowing link does not, however, tell me how the cubes are set up.
Does nobody have any idea or interest in this?
biredo ribepo!
gurthbruins

Postby Sharkretriver » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:32 pm

What is meant by "how the cubes are set up?"
For competitions, a file with a list of 5 scrambles is prepared. The first solve for any person uses the first scramble, for the second solve, the second scramble, etc.
Scrambles are 19 to 21 moves long, I think, and are computer generated. The cubes are scrambled with white/black on U and green on F by hand (volunteers, not competitors).
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Zeotor » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:31 am

Sharkretriver wrote:For competitions, a file with a list of 5 scrambles is prepared. The first solve for any person uses the first scramble, for the second solve, the second scramble, etc.
Scrambles are 19 to 21 moves long, I think, and are computer generated. The cubes are scrambled with white/black on U and green on F by hand (volunteers, not competitors).

Adding to that, the rules for scrambling can be seen here and here on the World Cube Association's website. Also, the program that is used for generating scrambles is here.

Sharkretriver - Sometimes competitors do scramble the puzzles (probably only in rare cases). For example, at one point during the 2013 World Championship, competitors (or anyone) who could scramble a megaminx quickly were invited to do so (for the megaminx event). They probably wouldn't have allowed competitors of that round to help though.
Zeotor

Postby gurthbruins » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Thanks, Sharkretriver and Zeotor - I feel more clued-up now, satisfied with that info for now. :D
biredo ribepo!
gurthbruins

Return to Speedcubing