Middle layer, inverted edge

General discussions and topics

Middle layer, inverted edge

Postby bubiksrube » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:02 am

Hello everyone, I've searched for this answer a few ways and haven't found anything to really help. I've solved a cube about 50 times now, but I run into one situation that's puzzling.

Picture yourself having solved the first two layers completely. Everything lines up great. Except on one edge of the second layer, one of the pieces is in the right spot but flipped. For example, the orange-white edge piece is in the right place, but the white square is on the orange side and the orange side is on the white square.

It seems like there are a lot of people asking this question but nobody has a good answer. I can pop it out of there, but commonly that just puts another odd piece into the side somewhere.

Anyone have any ideas on an easy fix?
bubiksrube

Re: Middle layer, inverted edge

Postby borginator2 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Yes. It was solved it the vid in the aptly named "solutions" forum. Perhaps a first port of call...? ;)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5151
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby bubiksrube » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:45 am

That video is basically useless unless someone has poorly assembled a rubuks cube. Perhaps you should save the snarky comments and try to actually help people when they post a question to which the answer is not easily found. Of all of the problems I've run into in solving these, this answer is the hardest to find.

Trust me, registering for a new site, logging in, creating a post and checking it is a lot more work than just searching so assuming that someone is being lazy by posting a question is silly.
bubiksrube

Postby borginator2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Perhaps you should:

a) Look at the video in question and see if it answers your original question.

b) Not be rude to a site admin

c) Not get yourself banned for (b).

d) Only get 1 warning. Play nice.
Please take off topic discussion off this forum. Thanks.
borginator2

Postby Sharkretriver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:59 pm

bubiksrube wrote:Picture yourself having solved the first two layers completely. Everything lines up great. Except on one edge of the second layer, one of the pieces is in the right spot but flipped. For example, the orange-white edge piece is in the right place, but the white square is on the orange side and the orange side is on the white square.

If you've only got the first two layers solved, then you should use (with this flipped edge on the U and R face) R U' R' d R' U2 R U2 R' U' R. This is an algorithm commonly used in F2L, in the Friedrich method.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby Npham » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 am

Go buy another cube and see if that happens again.
Npham

Postby MikeyMerse » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 pm

bubiksrube wrote:That video is basically useless unless someone has poorly assembled a rubuks cube. Perhaps you should save the snarky comments and try to actually help people when they post a question to which the answer is not easily found. Of all of the problems I've run into in solving these, this answer is the hardest to find.

Trust me, registering for a new site, logging in, creating a post and checking it is a lot more work than just searching so assuming that someone is being lazy by posting a question is silly.

Hey bubiks, I saw that video and got disappointed too - realized it was not anything related to this problem. I've been wanting to know how to do this for awhile, I finally found out after searching, and I registered just to post this.

So instead of the typical 2nd layer edge algorithm twice (moving it to the 3rd layer than back down correctly) you can do this:
Flipped edge piece in F-R position.
F2 U2 R' F2 R U2 F U' F

Enjoy!
MikeyMerse

Postby Sharkretriver » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:37 pm

MikeyMerse wrote:Hey bubiks, I saw that video and got disappointed too - realized it was not anything related to this problem. I've been wanting to know how to do this for awhile, I finally found out after searching, and I registered just to post this.

So instead of the typical 2nd layer edge algorithm twice (moving it to the 3rd layer than back down correctly) you can do this:
Flipped edge piece in F-R position.
F2 U2 R' F2 R U2 F U' F

Enjoy!

That works, though you can learn intuitive F2L and do R U' R' d R' U2 R U2 R' U R.
I know that this post is just promoting another method but really, no algorithms and a lot more efficient. You can kind of switch to it from your method and it'll speed up your time by at least 10 seconds if you work hard enough.
lol, here to help ^_~
Sharkretriver

Postby bubiksrube » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:40 pm

Thanks. That solution, unlike the video in question, actually works. It's nice that someone on this forum is actually useful unlike the admin who is an absolutely fantastic bloke who is quite able to ban someone for having a go at people.
bubiksrube

Return to General Rubik's Discussion